Town Hall offices will be closed Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day.

Traffic Accidents

A person should first ensure that no one is injured. If no one is injured, all parties (drivers) should exchange information: driver’s license numbers (if in possession, or known), vehicle license numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all drivers (passengers if possible), and the names of the insurance companies of the drivers involved. The involved persons should also write down the location where the traffic collision occurred (utilizing cross street names or addresses and street names), and the time it occurred.

The Fairfax Police Department will, at the request of an involved party, take a report of any vehicle accident that occurred in Town limits. However, if any of the following conditions are met at the scene of a traffic collision, the Fairfax Police Department should be notified:

  • A person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaining of pain is considered injury) or dies.
  • One of the drivers is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • One of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved.
  • City property is involved (city vehicle, light post, signal light, etc.).

If a traffic collision occurs but does not meet the criteria listed above, any involved person can go to the police station to make a report. The report should be made as soon as possible. The person reporting the collision needs to bring along the following information:

  • The time and location (street address/cross streets) where the collision occurred.
  • The license plate number of the vehicle he or she was driving when they were involved in the traffic collision.
  • Driver’s license
  • Insurance information (name of the insurance company and their policy number).
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers in their vehicle.
  • If known, the license plate numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other involved drivers and passengers.

In addition to filing a traffic collision report with the Fairfax Police Department, it may also be necessary to file Department of Motor Vehicles Form SR 1A. Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles Web page for more information on state reporting requirements for traffic collisions.

To obtain a copy of a traffic report, you can come to the Fairfax Police Department five days after the collision to request a copy. Traffic reports can be released to authorized persons such as the victim, the victim’s representative, or as provided in Section 20012 of the Vehicle Code.

Close window