The Town Clerk's Office administers democratic processes such as local elections, provides access to Town records, and ensures transparency to the public for all legislative actions. The Town Clerk acts as the compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the Public Records Act.
- Serves as the elections official, administering local elections
- Serves as the Local Filing Officer for the California Fair Political Practices Commission under the Political Reform Act, and as Filing Official for local election campaign finance disclosure statements and economic interest statements
- Records and maintain the official record of Town Council proceedings
- Authenticates and maintains custody of official Town records
- Ensures compliance with the Brown Act (open meeting law) for all Town meetings
- Receives service of legal documents, such as claims against the Town and subpoenas
- Receives and opens sealed bids
- Administers the Oath of Office to elected officials and staff
- Maintains the Town Code, ordinances, and resolutions
- Responds to public records requests
- Administers the application and appointment process for Town Boards, Committees, and Commissions
In Fairfax, the Town Clerk's Office includes one elected Town Clerk (ceremonial unpaid position) and two Deputy Town Clerks (paid staff positions).
- Elected Town Clerk: Michele Gardner
- Deputy Town Clerk/Assistant to the Town Manager: Michele Gardner
- Deputy Town Clerk/Administrative Analyst: Christine Foster