The Department of Planning and Building Services protects and enhances Fairfax’s unique and diverse small-town character, public health and safety, social and physical environment, and sustainability. Planning and Building services include:
- Reviewing development applications for consistency with Town regulations, policies and goals
- Implementing Regional, State, and Federal laws governing local jurisdictions
- Assisting with local review of FEMA flood regulations.
- Responding to the ever-changing development-related challenges confronting the Town.
- Serving as the staff liaison to the Planning Commission. Also serves the Town Council and assists other local committees including Open Space Committee, Affordable Housing Committee, Tree Committee, and Climate Action Committee.
- Developing for review and adoption and implements, the Town’s General Plan, Housing Element, Zoning Ordinance, and Subdivision Ordinance.
- Implementing the California Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical Codes.
- Investigating and enforcing violations of planning and building regulations.
- Providing information to the public on a wide range of planning- and building-related topics
Building permits are issued Monday – Thursday 9-11 a.m., contact the Building Official Mark Lockaby at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-458-2370. Inspections are conducted Monday – Thursday mornings and afternoons. For inspections call 415-453-2263.
Planning Staff counter hours are Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m.-noon. Planning staff are also available by appointment Monday – Thursday 1-3 pm. Call 415-453-1584 to speak to a planner or email Linda Neal, Principal Planner or Kara Spencer, Assistant Planner at the links below.