FAQ Topic: Police

Notice of Duty to Register as a Sex Offender

F YOU HAVE EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A SEX OFFENSE, you may be required to register under California law as a sex offender. The registration law may have changed since you were convicted. The sex offense for which you were convicted may have been added to the law requiring registration after the date of your … Continued

Is the information on the Megan’s Law website accurate?

Many of the sex offender registrants on the website have failed to comply with California’s registration laws, and therefore the zip code listed for some offenders may not be up-to-date. Since the website (and the CD-ROM that preceded it) has been available, the public has helped law enforcement identify offenders who are not registered with … Continued

Viewing Megan’s Law via the DOJ website

The California Department of Justice and the Office of the Attorney General have created a publicly accessible website, where people can view the list of registered sex offenders as required by Megan’s Law. This website can be accessed by anyone, either on their home computers or at any public access site. There is no longer … Continued

What is “Megan’s Law”?

The so-called “Megan’s Law,” is named after 7-year-old Megan Kanka of Hamilton Township, N.J., who was killed. Charged with the crime was a convicted sex offender who the Kankas were unaware lived across the street from them. In order to prevent a similar tragedy from occurring in the future, on September 6, 1996, California State … Continued

What is the criteria to be designated a “high-risk” sex offender?

The California Department of Justice categorizes sex offenders as high-risk when his or her criminal history meets the statutory definition of high-risk, which includes offenders who have committed at least two violent offenses, at least one of which was a violent sex offense. A statutory definition of “high-risk” offender is provided in section 290(n)(1) of … Continued

When are sex offenders required to register with local authorities?

Pursuant to section 290 of the California Penal Code, individuals convicted of committing or attempting certain sex crimes are required to register with the local police department within five working days of his or her release from prison or jail. Additionally, sex offenders must re-register every year within five working days of his or her … Continued

What can I do about “identity theft”?

Immediately contact all your credit card issuers. Get replacement cards with new account numbers. Ask that the old accounts be processed as “account closed at consumer’s request.” (This is better than “card lost or stolen,” because when this statement is reported to credit bureaus, it can be interpreted as blaming you for the loss.) Call … Continued

What is elder abuse?

If anyone is inflicting physical or sexual abuse on any person RIGHT NOW, please call 9-1-1. If you suspect any form of elder abuse has occurred, but is not currently in progress, contact your local law enforcement agency or any of the appropriate programs listed below by using non-emergency telephone numbers. Assistance from District Attorney’s … Continued

How to obtain a restraining order:

Request a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) at the Superior Court at the location and time given above. NOTE: Emergency Protection Orders are available through the Police Department on a 24-hour basis, and are valid for only 5 court days. Your TRO should be granted the same day. Serve the defendant with a copy of the … Continued

Where can I obtain information on obtaining a restraining order?

You can request a Restraining Order against a person who has hurt or threatened you, or other family members, by going to the Marin County Civic Center. You may pick up the paperwork for requesting civil harassment restraining orders between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.

Close window