FAQ Topic: Crime Related Questions

What can I do about “identity theft”?

Immediately contact all your credit card issuers. Get replacement cards with new account numbers. Ask that the old accounts be processed as “account closed at consumer’s request.” (This is better than “card lost or stolen,” because when this statement is reported to credit bureaus, it can be interpreted as blaming you for the loss.) Call … Continued

What is elder abuse?

If anyone is inflicting physical or sexual abuse on any person RIGHT NOW, please call 9-1-1. If you suspect any form of elder abuse has occurred, but is not currently in progress, contact your local law enforcement agency or any of the appropriate programs listed below by using non-emergency telephone numbers. Assistance from District Attorney’s … Continued

How to obtain a restraining order:

Request a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) at the Superior Court at the location and time given above. NOTE: Emergency Protection Orders are available through the Police Department on a 24-hour basis, and are valid for only 5 court days. Your TRO should be granted the same day. Serve the defendant with a copy of the … Continued

Where can I obtain information on obtaining a restraining order?

You can request a Restraining Order against a person who has hurt or threatened you, or other family members, by going to the Marin County Civic Center. You may pick up the paperwork for requesting civil harassment restraining orders between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.

How can I report a hate crime?

Hate crimes are very serious and traumatic incidents. When these crimes are occurring, they should be reported to the police immediately by telephoning 911. If you have been a victim of a hate crime but it is not an immediate life-threatening emergency, you should call the department at 415-453-5330 and report the crime.

What happens to people after they are arrested by FPD?

Most misdemeanor arrestees are generally released after being issued a citation in the field. If a person is not cited in the field, he or she will be taken to Marin County Jail for booking (fingerprints, photographs, etc.).

How can I report a missing person?

You may initiate a Missing Persons Report by contacting the department at 415-453-5330. Contrary to popular belief, law enforcement agencies in California do not require a person to wait a specific period of time before reporting a missing person.

I’ve lost my purse or wallet. What should I do?

Cancel your credit cards immediately. It is important to have the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those numbers where you can find them easily (DON’T KEEP THEM IN YOUR WALLET OR PURSE). Contact your bank if your checkbook or ATM card was stolen along with … Continued

Close window