FAQ Topic: 911/Dispatch

What if I need to contact the Fairfax Police Department and I either don’t speak English, or I am hearing or speech impaired?

The Fairfax Police Department is equipped with T.D.D. devices for communicating with the hearing and/or speech impaired via both 9-1-1 and the non-emergency numbers. Language translation service is also available on a limited basis. When language translation is needed via 9-1-1, your call can be transferred directly to a translator for. The dispatcher will stay … Continued

When I call 9-1-1, what do I need to tell them?

The dispatcher will ask several questions. It is important that you listen to the dispatcher and follow their directions. STAY ON THE PHONE UNTIL THE DISPATCHER TELLS YOU IT IS OKAY TO HANG UP. They will need to know as much as you can tell about the following: What has occurred or is occurring? Where … Continued

What happens when I call 9-1-1 from my cell phone?

All cellular 9-1-1 calls go to the California Highway Patrol. When necessary, the CHP transfers the call to the appropriate local agency. To avoid this, you can call our direct phone number, 415-453-5330.

When should I call 9-1-1?

You should call 9-1-1 to report any incident that requires an emergency response by Police, Fire, or medical personnel. Examples would be: crimes in progress or just occurred, fires or hazardous conditions, accidents with injuries, or persons who are gravely ill, passed out, or have fallen and are injured.

Close window