Fairfax Police Department Officer Position
FILING DATE: Open until filled
Police Officer Salary:
$5823 – $7432
$5823 – 8063 with educational incentives
Lateral / Academy Graduate or current Academy Student
An Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town of Fairfax values diversity in its workforce and is committed to actively pursuing a program of equal employment and non-discrimination.
An Officer is assigned to one of several patrol shifts. Those assignments usually rotate every four months. The Department is interested in providing a high level of training to all personnel who desire to increase their level of proficiency.
Officers enjoy a 3-12 or a 4 -10 schedule, and are assigned to a specific patrol shift, which are rotated every 4 months.
Minimum age: 21 years of age at time of appointment.
Education/ Experience/License: High school diploma or equivalent. Graduation from a P.O.S.T. approved Basic Law Enforcement Academy, or current Police Academy student. Possession of a valid California driver license during all period of employment.
Knowledge of: English usage, spelling and punctuation, and interview techniques necessary to obtain investigative and personal data. Typing and computer skills: working knowledge of personal computers, including word processing.
Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or must have applied for citizenship. If a military veteran, then discharges other than honorable will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Free from any physical condition which would be disqualifying per the P.O.S.T. standards. A medical screening for California Law Enforcement. Weight in proportion to height. Satisfactory results on appropriate written, medical, background and psychiatric examinations.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary Range:$5823 - $8063 (with incentives. Laterals can start at step commensurate with experience.)
- Retirement: PERS 2.7 @ 57 (Eligible Classic PERS laterals 3% @ 55. The employee pays their PERS contribution of 12%.
- Insurance: The Town pays medical and dental benefits for employee and family including registered Domestic Partners as follows: Single fully covered, Single plus spouse $100 per month employee contribution, Family plan $200 per month employee contribution.
- Uniform Allowance: The Town pays $950/year.
- Educational incentive 6% -13.5% dependent on College Education or POST certificates.
- Longevity pay of $150 - $250 per month based on years of police service (including lateral time).
- Sick leave buyback program upon retirement.
11 to 21 working days annual vacation, based on the length of service. Eleven paid holidays per year.
Personal, Family Care, and Sick Leave available.
- Overtime: At 1-1/2 time with choice of pay or time off. Double Overtime in some circumstances
- Medical Retirement Town contributes 1% of employee’s rate of pay into a Health Savings Plan.
Other Benefits: Other benefits offered by the Town include PERS Medical, Employee Assistance Program and Deferred Income Plan.
Examination process will first consist of a review of application material. Processes following may include any of the following singularly or collectively; Written exam, oral exam, one-on-one interview with a Lieutenant or Police Chief.
Prior to an employment offer being made, a thorough background check will be done. At the time employment is offered, applicants are required to successfully pass a medical and psychological examination and must be able to furnish proof of legal right to work within the United States. Candidates must not have been convicted by any state or by the federal government of a crime for which the punishment could have been imprisonment in a federal penitentiary or a state prison.
Interested applicants should email their resume and qualifications to:
Office of the Chief of Police Fairfax Police Department