Town Council Meeting: September 5, 2018
7:00 pm Fairfax Women’s Club
Fairfax Women's Club - 46 Park Road, Fairfax 94930
REGULAR FAIRFAX TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
Fairfax Women’s Club, 46 Park Road
Wednesday, September 5, 2018, at 7:00 p.m.
Preceded by a Special Meeting in Open Session at 6:30 p.m. to Conduct Interviews
Preceded by a Special Meeting in Closed Session at 5:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 142 Bolinas Road
SPECIAL MEETING in closed session, Town Hall, 142 Bolinas Road
5:30 PM – Call to order – Public comment – Adjourn to closed session on the following matter:
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Government Code section 54956.9(d)(4): one case
SPECIAL MEETING in open session, Women’s Club 46 Park Road, Fairfax
6:30 PM – Call to Order the Special Meeting in Open Session
- Interview and appointment of applicant to the Climate Action Committee – Town Clerk
REGULAR MEETING, Women’s Club, 46 Park Road, Fairfax
7:00 PM – Call to order the Regular Meeting – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
ANNOUNCEMENT OF CLOSED SESSION ACTION
INTRODUCTIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Presentation of a proclamation in honor of Frank Gonzales on the occasion of his 95th birthday – Mayor Lacques
- Introduction of Marin County Fire Chief Jason Weber, who will serve as Ross Valley Fire Chief under the new shared services agreement – Town Manager
- Presentation of Police Lieutenant Rico Tabaranza, Corporal Jonathon Judge, Cadet Shahil Khan, Dispatcher Vanessa Pintos, PST Mohammed Jaffrey, and Acting Corporal Aaron Odom – Police Chief
- Annual Car Show, Sunday, Sep. 9, 10am, Parkade and Broadway from Pacheco to Bolinas, which will be closed for the event. Sponsored by the Ross Valley Rotary.
- Annual Town Picnic, Sunday, Sep. 16, noon to 5pm, Contratti Ballfield. Sponsored by the Fairfax Volunteers.
- Speak Cheesy, a wine & cheese event, Friday, Sep. 21, 7-9 pm, Women’s Club. $30 per person, must be 21 or older. Sponsored by the Fairfax Theater Co.
- Second Annual Art Walk, Friday Sep. 28, 5-8pm, in participating shops in downtown Fairfax. Sponsored by the Artists-in-Residence.
- Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: up to 6 on Climate Action Committee. Applications are available at Town Hall and on Town website. Contact Town Clerk for information.
- Fairfax Food Pantry, Saturdays 9-11am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd., volunteers. needed.
- Marinda Heights (a.k.a. Wall property) project updates: www.fairfaxbuildingplanning.org
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION: To address the Council on matters not listed on the agenda, please approach the podium and state your name and address (optional). Individuals have 3 minutes to speak; 5 minutes if representing a group. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2)
- Accept Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports July 2018 – Finance Director
- Approve minutes for the July 18 and August 1, 2018, Town Council meetings – Town Clerk
- Adopt a Resolution Proclaiming September 2018 as Disaster Preparedness Month – Town Clerk
- Adopt a proclamation naming September Prostate Cancer Awareness Month – Town Clerk
- Adopt a proclamation in honor of Fairfax Nonagenarians – Town Clerk
- Adopt a proclamation in honor of President Jimmy Carter – Town Clerk
- Approve sponsorship of temporary Closure of Dominga and Napa Avenues following the Halloween Parade – Town Clerk
- Receive Marin Sanitary Service Semiannual Report (January-June 2018) – Town Clerk
- Receive report on Town vegetation management, including chipper day results – Town Manager
- Approve expenditure of up to $25,000 to slurry seal Dominga and Napa Avenues – Town Manager
- Presentation by Coffee Roastery of their conceptual proposal to widen the sidewalk adjacent to the business for outdoor seating (no Council action will be taken)
- Introduce and read by title only an ordinance amending Chapter 8.36 (“Trees”) of the Town Code to provide the Town Council flexibility to appoint at-large member(s) to the Tree Advisory Committee and modify the process for the Planning Commission to consider/approval tree removals as part of a development application; categorically exempt from CEQA – Town Manager
- Discuss concept of amending Town Code to address small cell attachment devices – Town Manager
- Discuss concept to reduce the use of disposable food containers, straws, and utensils – Town Manager
- Introduction and first reading by title only of an Ordinance Amending Chapter 3.36 (“Public Bidding”) of the Fairfax Town Code to Increase Contract Award Limits per the Uniform Public Construction Cost Accounting Act; categorically exempt from CEQA – Town Manager
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
IN MEMORY OF FAIRFAX RESIDENTS
Ida Yolanda Donals, Mary Grealish Parnow, and Marcia Fisher
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk prior to the meeting: (415) 458-2343 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection on the public counter at Town Hall in a folder next to the agenda packet. Such documents are also available on the Town’s Web site at “townoffairfax.org” subject to staff’s ability to post the documents before the meeting.
Meetings may be broadcast, recorded, and uploaded to the Town’s website.
To receive Town Council agendas by email, send your request to email@example.com
Note: PDF Documents require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader