REGULAR FAIRFAX TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, September 1, 2021, at 7:00 pm
Preceded by a Special Meeting at 6:40 PM to Conduct Interviews
VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
Due to Coronavirus and consistent with State of California Executive Order N-29-20 and Marin County Public Health Orders, this Town Council meeting will be held via videoconference only.
There will be no in-person meeting location. The public can participate in meeting as follows:
- Watch on https://www.townoffairfax.org/watch-live-2/ or https://www.cmcm.tv/27
- Watch on TV Comcast Channel 27 or AT&T Channel 99
- Watch/speak on Zoom: Webinar ID 848 5381 2851 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84853812851
- To speak during the Public Comment time, select the Raise Hand icon and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Listen/speak by phone: +1(669) 900-9128 and use Webinar ID above. If you receive a busy signal, call +1 346 248-7799. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number.) To speak during the public comment time press *9 and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Prior to the meeting, you may email written comments to the Town Council to read and consider. Emails received prior to 3pm will be included in the meeting record.
6:40 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
INTERVIEWS AND APPOINTMENTS
- Interview applicant Rick Hamer and consider appointment to the Affordable Housing Committee – Town Clerk
7:00 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
The Fairfax Town Council acknowledges that we are located on the un-ceded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok people of present-day Marin County. We honor with gratitude the land itself, and all of its ancestors: past, present, and emerging.
The Mayor shall maintain order at the meetings. The Council and the audience are expected to refrain from using profane language and/or ridiculing the character or motives of council members, staff, or members of the public and to maintain the standards of tolerance and civility. Please turn off all cellular phones or place in silent mode.
The Town Council will review the agenda at 10:00 P.M. to ascertain which items, if any, will be continued to another meeting. Any matter not started by 11:30 P.M. will be continued to an adjourned or regular council meeting unless the Council votes to suspend this rule.
Town-wide picnic: Sunday Sep. 19, noon – 5pm on the ballfield
Racial Equity and Social Justice Committee status update
Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: Applications available on the Town website, or by contacting Town Clerk Michele Gardner, email@example.com.
• Affordable Housing Committee: 1 vacancy
▪ Climate Action Committee up to 4 vacancies
▪ Parks and Recreation Commission: 1 vacancy
▪ Volunteer Board: 1 vacancy
▪ Open Space Committee: 1 vacancy
Fairfax Food Pantry: Saturdays 8:00-10:00am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd.
To receive Town agendas, newsletters, and updates by email, visit www.townoffairfax.org to subscribe.
PRESENTATION - 7:05
Presentation from a representative of Marin Water regarding Drought/Conservation efforts - Marin Municipal Water District
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION - 7:30
This is the time to address the Council on matters not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to 3 minutes, groups to 5 minutes, subject to the mayor’s discretion. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2).
CONSENT CALENDAR - 8:00
The Council may approve the entire consent calendar with one action (vote). In the alternative, items on the Consent Calendar may be removed by any Town Council or staff member for separate discussion and vote. The opportunity for public comment on consent calendar items will occur prior to the Town Council's vote on the Consent Calendar.
- Receive Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports July 2021 – Finance Director Michael Vivrette
- Receive written report on Councilmembers’ assignments, committees, and activities in August – Town Clerk
- Approve minutes for the Town Council meetings of May 5, May 27, June 2, and June 16, 2021 – Town Clerk
- Adopt a Proclamation to Designate September 2021 as Prostate Cancer Awareness Month – Town Clerk
- Receive Climate Action Plan Implementation Scorecard – Town Clerk
- Receive Age Friendly Strategic Plan Implementation Scorecard – Town Clerk
- Adopt a Resolution Promoting Voluntary Water Conservation Efforts – Town Clerk
- Adopt First Amendment to Employment Agreement with Rico Tabaranza – Town Attorney Janet Coleson
- Second reading by title only and adoption of an Ordinance adding Chapter 15.05 entitled “All-Electric Construction in Newly Constructed Buildings” to Title 15 of the Fairfax Municipal Code; CEQA exempt pursuant to CEQA Guidelines sections 15378(b)(5), 15061(b)(3), and/or 15307 and 15308 – Town Attorney
- Reappoint Chris Borjian to the Open Space Committee – Town Clerk
- Approve and Sponsor Closure of Parkade to hold an Electric Vehicle Show on Sunday, September 26, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. to noon – Recreation & Community Services Manager Maria Baird, Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman
- Adopt an Urgency Ordinance to establish paid sick leave requirements for all employers in the Town with 25 or fewer employees for COVID-19 related reasons; CEQA exempt under CEQA Guidelines section 15060(c)(2) – Town Attorney Janet Coleson
Supplemental material: revised ordinance (page 7) and Tax Credit information sheet
PUBLIC HEARINGS - 8:10
- This item is continued to the October 6, 2021, Town Council Meeting.
80 Crest Road: Appeal of a Planning Commission denial of a Height Variance for an unpermitted Ground Floor Level that would result in the height of the residential structure being approximately 50 feet; Assessor’s Parcel No. 002-152-32; Residential Single-family RS-6 Zone; Verle and Marene Sorgen, appellants/owners; CEQA categorically exempt, § 15301(e)(2)(1). – Principal Planner Linda Neal, Town Attorney Janet Coleson
REGULAR AGENDA - 8:10
- Receive update on the Town Manager recruitment and review and approve Town Manager recruitment brochure– Interim Town Manager Adam Politzer, Heather Renschler of Ralph Andersen & Assoc. (20 min.)
- Receive results of the Outdoor Dining Survey and provide direction to staff – Communications Specialist Camille Esposito, Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman (30 min.) PowerPoint presentation
- Receive Capital projects update – Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman (60 min.) PowerPoint presentation
- Receive report regarding potential projects and programs eligible for American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding and provide direction to staff – Finance Director Michael Vivrette, Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman (60 min.) PowerPoint presentation
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees, and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense.)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
ADJOURNMENT - 11:00
In memory of James DeMartini
and John Roberts Barich
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk prior to the meeting: (415) 453-1584 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection www.townoffairfax.org.