TOWN COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
Wednesday, October 7, 2020, at 7:00 pm
VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
Cable TV Channels 27 and 99
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) ADVISORY NOTICE
Due to Coronavirus and consistent with State of California Executive Order N-29-20 and the Marin County Public Health Officer’s Orders, this Town Council meeting will be held via tele- and videoconference only. There will be no in-person physical meeting location.
The public will be able to participate in the meeting by any of the following options:
- Cable TV Comcast Channel 27 and AT&T Channel 99
- On Zoom: Webinar ID 835 4265 2228 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83542652228
- Call-in option: +1(669) 900-9128 Webinar ID 835 4265 2228. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number)
To provide live public comment at the meeting, use one of the following options:
- On Zoom, select the Raise Hand icon during the public comment time and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- If you are calling in, press *9 during the public comment time and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number.)
Prior to the meeting, as always, members of the public may email written comments to the Town Council to read and consider. These comments become part of the meeting record.
7:00 PM – CALL REGULAR MEETING TO ORDER
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
The Fairfax Town Council acknowledges that we are located on the un-ceded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok people of present-day Marin County. We honor with gratitude the land itself, and all of its ancestors: past, present, and emerging.
The Mayor shall maintain order at the meetings. The Council and the audience are expected to refrain from using profane language and/or ridiculing the character or motives of council members, staff, or members of the public and to maintain the standards of tolerance and civility. Please turn off all cellular phones or place in silent mode.
The Town Council will review the agenda at 10:00 P.M. to ascertain which items, if any, will be continued to another meeting. Any matter not started by 11:30 P.M. will be continued to an adjourned or regular council meeting unless the Council votes to suspend this rule.
Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: Applications are available at Town Hall and on the Town website. For more information please contact the Town Clerk or visit www.townoffairfax.org.
- Climate Action Committee: up to 4 vacancies
- Tree Committee: 1 vacancy
- Parks and Recreation Commission: 1 vacancy
- Open Space Committee: 1 vacancy
- Measure F Oversight Committee: 2 vacancies
Fairfax Food Pantry: Saturdays 8:30-10:30am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd.
To receive Town agendas, newsletters, and updates by email, visit www.townoffairfax.org to subscribe.
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION:
This is the time to address the Council on matters not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to 3 minutes, groups to 5 minutes, subject to the Mayor’s discretion. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2)
The opportunity for public comment on consent calendar items will occur prior to the Town Council's vote on the Consent Calendar. The Council may approve the entire consent calendar with one action (vote). In the alternative, items on the Consent Calendar may be removed by any Town Council or staff member for separate discussion and vote.
- Receive report on the issuance of lease revenue bonds to refinance unfunded pension obligations – Finance Director, Town Manager
- Receive written report on Councilmembers’ assignments, committees, and activities in September –Town Clerk
- Approval Town Council Meeting Minutes for July 1 (revised), July 15, and August 5 –Town Clerk
- Approve Amendment No. 8 to the master agreement with California Infrastructure Consultancy (CIC) to increase the contract amount by $619,790 for additional design and ROW services for Meadow Way bridge replacement project – Town Manager
- Authorize the Town Manager to sign Amendment to extend Agreement for five years to provide dispatch services to the Town of Ross / Police Department – Chief of Police
- Authorize Town Manager to contract, up to $45,000, for tree services, per the recommendations of the Town Arborist report, to prune trees in the Parkade, Peri Park, Bolinas Park and Doc Edgar Park and to remove upwards of 12 dead or dying trees in the Bolinas/Peri Park area – Town Manager
Attachment A-1 Town Arborist Report 2020
Attachment A-2 Parkade aerial map
Attachment A-3 Doc Edgar Park aerial map
Attachment A-4 Bolinas and Peri Parks aerial map
Attachment A-5 Tree Inventory 2020
Supplemental Attachment A- Proposed Tree Removal List
Supplemental Attachment B- Park Map with trees for removal circled
Supplemental Attachment C - Tree Inventory 2020 (
- Receive report on the Town’s 2020 Chipper Days – Town Manager
- Discuss/consider the concept of holding two regular Council meetings per month and direct staff – Town Manager
- Receive report on the Police Chief recruitment process and consider the appointment of an interim Police Chief in December to allow for more community input into the process for a permanent replacement – Town Manager
- Receive report on the Town’s Business Recovery Programs and provide direction on the extension of the terms of temporary encroachment permits and temporary outdoor use permits beyond the November 30, 2020 expiration date – Town Manager
- Receive update on the selection of a facilitator for the Racial Equity and Social Justice Committee – Town Manager
Supplemental Staff Report with Attachment A -Facilitator Description
Supplemental Attachment B - Proposal
- This item is continued to the November 4, 2020, Town Council Meeting.
80 Crest Road: Appeal of a Planning Commission denial of a Height Variance for an unpermitted Ground Floor Level that would result in the height of the residential structure being approximately 50 feet; Assessor’s Parcel No. 002-152-32; Residential Single-family RS-6 Zone; Verle and Marene Sorgen, appellants/owners; CEQA categorically exempt, § 15301(e)(2)(1). – Principal Planner, Town Manager
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees, and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense.)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
In memory of
Robert “Bob” Bernard Keating and Rosemary K. Lang
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk’s office prior to the meeting: (415) 453-1584 or email@example.com.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection on the public counter at Town Hall in a folder next to the agenda packet. Such documents are also available on the Town’s Web site at “townoffairfax.org” subject to staff’s ability to post the documents before the meeting.