Town Council Meeting: October 6, 2021
REGULAR FAIRFAX TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, October 6, 2021, at 7:00 pm
Preceded by a Special Meeting to Conduct Interviews at 6:30 pm
VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
Coronavirus Advisory Notice
During the declared state of emergency and to ensure the health and safety of the public by limiting human contact that could spread the COVID-19 virus, and pursuant to AB 361, this Town Council meeting will be held via teleconference only. There will be no in-person meeting location. The public can participate in meeting as follows:
- Watch on https://www.townoffairfax.org/watch-live-2/ or https://www.cmcm.tv/27
- Watch on TV Comcast Channel 27 or AT&T Channel 99
- Watch/speak on Zoom: Webinar ID 829 4487 8683 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82944878683 To speak during the Public Comment time, select the Raise Hand icon and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Listen/speak by phone: +1(669) 900-9128 and use Webinar ID above. If you receive a busy signal, call +1 346 248-7799. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number.) To speak during the public comment time press *9 and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Prior to the meeting, you may email written comments to the Town Council to read and consider. Emails received are part the meeting record. However, to ensure the time for the Council to read emails, you are asked to submit them prior to 3 pm on the day of the meeting.
6:30 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
INTERVIEWS AND APPOINTMENTS
- Interview applicant Jackie Engstrom and consider her appointment to the Parks and Recreation Commission – Town Clerk
- Interview applicant Mitch Greer and consider his appointment to the Climate Action Committee – Town Clerk
7:00 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
The Fairfax Town Council acknowledges that we are located on the un-ceded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok people of present-day Marin County. We honor with gratitude the land itself, and all of its ancestors: past, present, and emerging.
The Mayor shall maintain order at the meetings. The Council and the audience are expected to refrain from using profane language and/or ridiculing the character or motives of council members, staff, or members of the public and to maintain the standards of tolerance and civility. Please turn off all cellular phones or place in silent mode.
The Town Council will review the agenda at 10:00 P.M. to ascertain which items, if any, will be continued to another meeting. Any matter not started by 11:30 P.M. will be continued to an adjourned or regular council meeting unless the Council votes to suspend this rule.
Fall Curbside Clean up, October 4th – 8th: put out extra waste on your regular garbage day
Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: Applications available on the Town website, or by contacting Town Clerk Michele Gardner, email@example.com.
- Community Emergency Preparedness Committee: NEW! Fairfax residents are invited to apply to fill seats representing these stakeholders: community at large, CERTs, Firewise communities, and NRGs.
- Climate Action Committee up to 4 vacancies
- Parks and Recreation Commission: 2 vacancies
- Volunteer Board: 1 vacancy
- Open Space Committee: 1 vacancy
Take Back Day for Drugs and Electronics: October 23rd – save the date (details to follow)
Fairfax Food Pantry: Saturdays 8:00-10:00am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd.
To receive Town agendas, newsletters, and updates by email, visit www.townoffairfax.org to subscribe.
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION- 7:10
This is the time to address the Council on matters not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to 3 minutes, groups to 5 minutes, subject to the mayor’s discretion. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2).
CONSENT CALENDAR – 7:40
The Council may approve the entire consent calendar with one action (vote). In the alternative, items on the Consent Calendar may be removed by any Town Council or staff member for separate discussion and vote. The opportunity for public comment on consent calendar items will occur prior to the Town Council’s vote on the Consent Calendar.
- Receive Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports August 2021 – Finance Director Michael Vivrette
- Approve minutes for the Town Council meetings of July 1 and 7, and August 4, 2021 – Town Clerk
- Receive report on Councilmembers’ assignments, committees, and activities in September – Town Clerk
- Reappoint Commissioner Sisi Parry-Hansen to another 4-year term on the Parks and Recreation Commission – Town Clerk
- Adopt Resolution Accepting Land Donation from Pellolio Family and Authorizing Interim Town Manager to Execute Property Donation Agreement and Take Actions Necessary to Effectuate the Donation – Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman, Principal Planner Linda Neal, Town Attorney Janet Coleson
- Adopt a Resolution Authorizing the Town Manager to Purchase and Outfit Two Police Vehicles (both hybrid) for an Amount not to Exceed $130,000 and Declare One Vehicle as Surplus – Police Chief Tabaranza
- Adoption of a Resolution Making Findings and Determinations under AB 361 for the Continuation of Virtual Meetings – Town Attorney Janet Coleson, Town Clerk Michele Gardner
PUBLIC HEARINGS – 7:50
- This item is continued to November 3, 2021.
80 Crest Road: Appeal of a Planning Commission denial of a Height Variance for an unpermitted Ground Floor Level that would result in the height of the residential structure being approximately 50 feet; Assessor’s Parcel No. 002-152-32; Residential Single-family RS-6 Zone; Verle and Marene Sorgen, appellants/owners; CEQA categorically exempt, § 15301(e)(2)(1). – Principal Planner Linda Neal, Town Attorney Janet Coleson
REGULAR AGENDA – 7:50
- Proposed Racial Equity and Social Justice Programs and Initiatives for Town Council’s Consideration and Direction – Administrative Analyst Lorena Barrera, Interim Town Manager Adam Politzer (1 hour) PowerPoint Presentation
- Discuss and consider appropriating American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds for the Fairfax Water Conservation Program (FWCP) as recommended by the Climate Action Committee – Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman (1 hour)
- Receive results of the Skatepark Survey and the Parks and Recreation Commission’s recommendation regarding the location of a permanent skatepark, and provide direction to Staff – Recreation & Community Services Manager Maria Baird, Communications Specialist Camille Esposito, Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman (30 min.)
- Introduce and read by title only of an Ordinance of the Town Council of the Town of Fairfax Amending Chapter 8.44 of Title 8 of the Fairfax Municipal Code, entitled “Clean Indoor and Outdoor Air and Health Protection – Smoking Regulations” to Address Smoking in Multi-Unit Residences; CEQA Exempt Under CEQA Guidelines Sections 15060(c)(2) and 15060(c)(3) – Town Attorney Janet Coleson, Administrative Analyst Lorena Barrera (30 min.)
- Appoint up to two Town Councilmembers to the newly formed Ad Hoc Water Policy Committee of the Marin County Council of Mayors and Council Members (“MCCMC”) – Town Clerk Michele Gardner
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees, and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense.)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
ADJOURNMENT at 10:50 pm
In memory of Raymond Piombo
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk prior to the meeting: (415) 453-1584 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection www.townoffairfax.org.