REGULAR FAIRFAX TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, May 5, 2021, at 7:00 pm
Preceded by a Special Meeting at 6:15 pm to Conduct Interviews for the Planning Commission
VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
Due to Coronavirus and consistent with State of California Executive Order N-29-20 and Marin County Public Health Orders, Town Council meetings will be held via tele- and videoconference only.
There will be no in-person meeting location. The public can participate in meeting as follows:
- Watch on https://www.townoffairfax.org/watch-live-2/ or https://www.cmcm.tv/27
- Watch on TV Comcast Channel 27 or AT&T Channel 99
- Watch/speak on Zoom: Webinar ID 815 2161 1288 or https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81521611288
- To speak during the Public Comment time, select the Raise Hand icon and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Listen/speak by phone: +1(669) 900-9128 and use Webinar ID above. If you receive a busy signal, call +1 346 248-7799. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number.) To speak during the public comment time press *9 and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Before the meeting, you may email written comments to the Town Council to read and consider. Emails must be received by 3 pm the day of the meeting to be included in the record.
6:15 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
- Interview two applicants and discuss/consider appointment to fill an unexpired term on the Planning Commission – Town Clerk
7:00 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
The Fairfax Town Council acknowledges that we are located on the un-ceded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok people of present-day Marin County. We honor with gratitude the land itself, and all of its ancestors: past, present, and emerging.
The Mayor shall maintain order at the meetings. The Council and the audience are expected to refrain from using profane language and/or ridiculing the character or motives of council members, staff, or members of the public and to maintain the standards of tolerance and civility. Please turn off all cellular phones or place in silent mode.
The Town Council will review the agenda at 10:00 P.M. to ascertain which items, if any, will be continued to another meeting. Any matter not started by 11:30 P.M. will be continued to an adjourned or regular council meeting unless the Council votes to suspend this rule.
Next Town Council Meeting: Annual Budget Workshop on Thursday, May 27, 10:00 a.m. (There will be no other special Council meeting in May.)
Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: Applications available on the Town website, or by contacting Town Clerk Michele Gardner, email@example.com.
- Climate Action Committee up to 4 vacancies
- Parks and Recreation Commission: 1 vacancy
- Volunteer Board: 1 vacancy
- RESJ: 3 vacancies and 2 youth vacancies
- Marin Commission on Aging: Current term for the Fairfax Representative ends June 30.
Fairfax Food Pantry: Saturdays 8:30-10:30am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd.
To receive Town agendas, newsletters, and updates by email, visit www.townoffairfax.org to subscribe.
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION
This is the time to address the Council on matters not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to 3 minutes, groups to 5 minutes, subject to the Mayor’s discretion. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2)
- Presentation of a Proclamation in memory of Eugenio Ardito – Councilmember Coler
- Presentation on proposed uses of local funds for the Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority – Fire Chief Weber
- Presentation from Marin County Parks on the Planned Improvements for the Elliot Preserve – Marin County Parks
The Council may approve the entire consent calendar with one action (vote). In the alternative, items on the Consent Calendar may be removed by any Town Council or staff member for separate discussion and vote. The opportunity for public comment on consent calendar items will occur prior to the Town Council's vote on the Consent Calendar.
- Receive Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports March 2021 – Finance Director
- Receive written report on Councilmembers’ assignments, committees, and activities in April – Town Clerk
- Approve minutes for the Town Council meetings of March 3 and 17, 2021 – Town Clerk
- Adopt a resolution establishing the Town’s Community Emergency Preparedness Committee – Town Manager
- Authorize the Mayor to prepare a letter to cyclists to remind them to be respectful in riding in Town and adjacent open spaces – Mayor
- Receive update on the preparation of the Town’s Fiscal Year 2021-22 Operating and Capital Improvement Budget for discussion at the May 27th budget workshop – Town Manager, Finance Director
- Receive Treasurer’s Report for Quarter Ending March 31, 2021 – Town Treasurer
- Appoint Serena Campbell to the Community Interview Panel to replace Sophia Martin as the Racial Equity and Social Justice Committee representative – Town Manager
- Introduction and first reading by title only of an Ordinance of the Town Council of the Town of Fairfax Amending Chapter 17.020 and Adding Section 17.020.030(c) to Include the Requirement of a Design Review Permit for Changes in the Exterior Color of a Structure or the Alteration of a Significant Design Element Which is a Part of the Design of the Building in All Zones Except RD 5.5-7, RS 6, RS 7.5, UR 7 and UR 10; Exempt from CEQA pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15060(c)(2), 15061(b)(3), 15305 and 15378 – Town Manager
Attachment A -Proposed Ordinance
Attachment B -Planning Commission Resolution No. 2021-04
Attachment C -History of design review ordinance changes
Attachment D -Timeline of design review changes
Attachment E -Historic ordinances and minutes
Attachment F -Article “How San Francisco Lost Its Color”
- This item is continued to the June 2, 2021 Town Council Meeting.
80 Crest Road: Appeal of a Planning Commission denial of a Height Variance for an unpermitted Ground Floor Level that would result in the height of the residential structure being approximately 50 feet; Assessor’s Parcel No. 002-152-32; Residential Single-family RS-6 Zone; Verle and Marene Sorgen, appellants/owners; CEQA categorically exempt, § 15301(e)(2)(1). – Principal Planner, Town Manager
- Discuss results from the community questionnaire for Police Chief and police services – Town Manager
- Adopt two resolutions to extend the terms of temporary outdoor encroachment and temporary use permits from May 31, 2021 to September 7, 2021, continue the discussion of the use of outdoor public spaces (e.g., parking spaces), and provide direction to staff– Town Manager
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees, and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense.)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
In memory of Rudy Contratti’s father, Rudolph Contratti
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk prior to the meeting: (415) 453-1584 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection www.townoffairfax.org.