REGULAR FAIRFAX TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, March 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm
VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
Cable TV Channels 27 and 99
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) ADVISORY NOTICE
Due to Coronavirus and consistent with State of California Executive Order N-29-20 and the Marin County Public Health Officer’s Orders, this Town Council meeting will be held via tele- and videoconference only. There will be no in-person physical meeting location.
The public will be able to participate in the meeting by any of the following options:
- Cable TV Comcast Channel 27 and AT&T Channel 99
- On Zoom: Webinar ID 844 1954 4665 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84419544665
To speak during the Public Comment time, select the Raise Hand icon and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Call-in option: +1(669) 900-9128 and use Webinar ID above. If you receive a busy signal, call +1 346 248-7799. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number.) To speak during the public comment time press *9 and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
Prior to the meeting, as always, members of the public may email written comments to the Town Council to read and consider. These comments become part of the meeting record.
7:00 PM – CALL REGULAR MEETING TO ORDER
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
The Fairfax Town Council acknowledges that we are located on the un-ceded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok people of present-day Marin County. We honor with gratitude the land itself, and all of its ancestors: past, present, and emerging.
The Mayor shall maintain order at the meetings. The Council and the audience are expected to refrain from using profane language and/or ridiculing the character or motives of council members, staff, or members of the public and to maintain the standards of tolerance and civility. Please turn off all cellular phones or place in silent mode.
The Town Council will review the agenda at 10:00 P.M. to ascertain which items, if any, will be continued to another meeting. Any matter not started by 11:30 P.M. will be continued to an adjourned or regular council meeting unless the Council votes to suspend this rule.
Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: Applications and information are available on the Town website, or by contacting the Town Clerk Michele Gardner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planning Commission: 1 vacancy (Applications due March 29, 2021)
- Climate Action Committee up to 3 vacancies
- Open Space Committee: 1 vacancy
- Volunteer Board: 1 vacancy
Fairfax Food Pantry: Saturdays 8:30-10:30am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd.
To receive Town agendas, newsletters, and updates by email, visit www.townoffairfax.org to subscribe.
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION:
This is the time to address the Council on matters not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to 3 minutes, groups to 5 minutes, subject to the Mayor’s discretion. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2)
Draft Climate Action Plan – Climate Action Committee (“CAC”)
The opportunity for public comment on consent calendar items will occur prior to the Town Council's vote on the Consent Calendar. The Council may approve the entire consent calendar with one action (vote). In the alternative, items on the Consent Calendar may be removed by any Town Council or staff member for separate discussion and vote.
- Receive Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports September-December 2020 – Finance Director
- Receive written report on Councilmembers’ assignments, committees, and activities in February –Town Clerk
- Approve minutes for the Town Council meeting of January 20, 2021 –Town Clerk
- Reappoint Mimi Newton to another term on the Planning Commission – Town Clerk
- Authorize Mayor to send letter to Senator Mike McGuire opposing SB 9 (Atkins) “Increased Density in Single-Family Zones” – Town Manager
- Second reading by title only and adoption of an Ordinance Adding Section 15.04.065 “Electric Vehicle Charging Stations” to Chapter 15.04, Construction Codes, and Setting Forth Procedures for Expedited Permit Processing for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, which readopts (with minor revisions) the previous Town Code Section 15.04.065; Class 3 CEQA Categorical Exemption – Planning Director, Town
- Second reading by title only and adoption Ordinance Adding Sections 10.28.020, “Designated Skate Park Area”, and 10.28.030, “Safety Equipment Required”, to Chapter 10.28 of the Fairfax Municipal Code, entitled “Skateboards”, Setting Forth Procedures for Authorizing a Portion of the Pavilion/Bank Street Public Parking Lot as a Skating Facility and Requiring Use of Safety Equipment. Categorically exempt from CEQA under CEQA guidelines § 15303 (Class 3) – Town Manager
- Adopt a resolution designating the western portion of the Pavilion/Bank Street parking for use as a temporary skate/scooter park and establishing the rules and regulations for the temporary skate/scooter park – Town Manager
Supplement - revised resolution
- Approve response to 2019–2020 Marin County Civil Grand Jury Report entitled Roadblocks to Safer Evacuation in Marin – Town Manager
- Receive draft Climate Action Plan for discussion at a joint meeting with the Climate Action Committee on March 17, 2021 – Town Manager
- Extend the terms of the three current Artists-in-Residence – Town Manager
- Receive Treasurer’s Report for Quarter Ending December 31, 2020 – Town Treasurer
- Receive presentation on Redwood Tree Maintenance Plan (Plan) from the Town Arborist, discuss/consider the Plan, and direct staff as appropriate – Town Manager
- Discuss/consider the renaming Sir Francis Drake Blvd. and provide formal direction to the Council representatives to the Marin County Sir Francis Drake Ad-Hoc Working Group – Town Manager
- Discuss/consider interview and selection process for Police Chief and provide direction to staff – Town Manager
- Authorize the Town Manager to contract with EMC Planning Group for services to prepare the state mandated update to the Fairfax General Plan Housing Element, related updates to the Safety Element and Land Use Element, and the required environmental review of the various elements – Town Manager, Planning Director
- This item is continued to the April 7, 2021 Town Council Meeting.
80 Crest Road: Appeal of a Planning Commission denial of a Height Variance for an unpermitted Ground Floor Level that would result in the height of the residential structure being approximately 50 feet; Assessor’s Parcel No. 002-152-32; Residential Single-family RS-6 Zone; Verle and Marene Sorgen, appellants/owners; CEQA categorically exempt, § 15301(e)(2)(1). – Principal Planner, Town Manager
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees, and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense.)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk prior to the meeting: (415) 453-1584 or email@example.com.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection www.townoffairfax.org.