Town Council Meeting: August 4, 2021
REGULAR FAIRFAX TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, August 4, 2021, at 7:00 pm
Preceded by a Special Meeting at 6:15 pm to Conduct Interviews
VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
Due to Coronavirus and consistent with State of California Executive Order N-29-20 and Marin County Public Health Orders, this Town Council meeting will be held via videoconference only.
There will be no in-person meeting location. The public can participate in meeting as follows:
- Watch on https://www.townoffairfax.org/watch-live-2/ or https://www.cmcm.tv/27
- Watch on TV Comcast Channel 27 or AT&T Channel 99
- Watch/speak on Zoom: Webinar ID 870 6446 3946 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87064463946
- To speak during the Public Comment time, select the Raise Hand icon and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Listen/speak by phone: +1(669) 900-9128 and use Webinar ID above. If you receive a busy signal, call +1 346 248-7799. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number.) To speak during the public comment time press *9 and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Prior to the meeting, you may email written comments to the Town Council to read and consider. Emails received prior to 3pm will be included in the meeting record.
Special Meeting at 6:15 PM
6:15 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
INTERVIEWS AND APPOINTMENTS
- Interview two applicants and consider appointment to the Marin County Commission on Aging – Town Clerk
- Interview applicant Holly Clarke and consider appointment to Volunteer Board – Town Clerk
Regular Meeting at 7:00 PM
7:00 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
The Fairfax Town Council acknowledges that we are located on the un-ceded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok people of present-day Marin County. We honor with gratitude the land itself, and all of its ancestors: past, present, and emerging.
The Mayor shall maintain order at the meetings. The Council and the audience are expected to refrain from using profane language and/or ridiculing the character or motives of council members, staff, or members of the public and to maintain the standards of tolerance and civility. Please turn off all cellular phones or place in silent mode.
The Town Council will review the agenda at 10:00 P.M. to ascertain which items, if any, will be continued to another meeting. Any matter not started by 11:30 P.M. will be continued to an adjourned or regular council meeting unless the Council votes to suspend this rule.
ANNOUNCEMENTS – 7:05
Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: Applications available on the Town website, or by contacting Town Clerk Michele Gardner, email@example.com.
- Affordable Housing Committee: 1 vacancy
- Climate Action Committee up to 4 vacancies
- Parks and Recreation Commission: 1 vacancy
- Volunteer Board: 2 vacancies
- RESJ: 6 vacancies and 2 youth vacancies
- Open Space Committee (FOSC): 1 vacancy
Fairfax Food Pantry: Saturdays 8:00-10:00am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd.
To receive Town agendas, newsletters, and updates by email, visit www.townoffairfax.org to subscribe.
Introduction of Interim Town Manager Adam Politzer and Interim Public Works Director Jonathon Goldman
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION – 7:10
This is the time to address the Council on matters not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to 3 minutes, groups to 5 minutes, subject to the mayor’s discretion. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2)
CONSENT CALENDAR – 7:40
The Council may approve the entire consent calendar with one action (vote). In the alternative, items on the Consent Calendar may be removed by any Town Council or staff member for separate discussion and vote. The opportunity for public comment on consent calendar items will occur prior to the Town Council’s vote on the Consent Calendar.
- Receive Town Treasurer’s Report for Quarter Ending June 30, 2021– Town Treasurer
- Receive Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports June 2021 – Finance Director
- Receive report on Councilmembers’ assignments, committees, and activities in July – Town Clerk
- Approve minutes for the Town Council meeting of April 7, 2021 (revised) – Town Clerk
- Reappoint Susan Pascal-Beran to a second term on the Open Space Committee (FOSC) – Town Clerk
- Adopt a resolution to set the living wage for Town employees and Town contract employees pursuant to the annual review requirements of Section 8.56.020 of the Town Code – Town Clerk
- Adopt a resolution Approving a Side Letter to Amend and Extend the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with SEIU Local 1021 (Fairfax non-management employees) for the period July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021 for a period of one year, through and including June 30, 2022 – Town Attorney
- Adopt a resolution Approving a Side Letter of Agreement to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Fairfax Police Officers’ Association (POA) for the period July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022 – Town Attorney
- Adopt a resolution further amending and extending Resolution 18-31 establishing wages and benefits for management, confidential, and part-time employees for the period July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021 for a period of one year, through and including June 30, 2022 – Town Attorney
Supplement: revised resolution
- Adopt a Resolution Adopting an Annual Salary Schedule – Finance Director
- Approve special meeting date in September – Town Clerk
- Receive annual report from the Fairfax Climate Action Committee – Town Clerk
- Receive Marin Climate Energy Partnership (MCEP) Greenhouse Gas Inventory – Town Clerk
Supplement: Report with corrected page 4
- Authorize Mayor Ackerman to send a letter supporting AB 1346 (Berman) – Zero-Emission Small Off-Road Engines, which would phase out the sale of new gas-powered small off-road engines – Town Clerk
PUBLIC HEARINGS – 7:50
- This item is continued to the September 1, 2021, Town Council Meeting.
80 Crest Road: Appeal of a Planning Commission denial of a Height Variance for an unpermitted Ground Floor Level that would result in the height of the residential structure being approximately 50 feet; Assessor’s Parcel No. 002-152-32; Residential Single-family RS-6 Zone; Verle and Marene Sorgen, appellants/owners; CEQA categorically exempt, § 15301(e)(2)(1). – Principal Planner, Town Manager
REGULAR AGENDA – 7:50
- Receive Fiscal Year 2019-2020 Audit Report – Finance Director, Maze & Associates (30 min.) PowerPoint Presentation
- Receive update on the Town Manager recruitment and appoint two Town Council members to serve on an ad-hoc subcommittee – Town Manager, Heather Renschler of Ralph Andersen & Associates (20 min.)
- Introduce by title only an Ordinance Adding Chapter 15.05 entitled “All-Electric Construction in Newly Constructed Buildings” to Title 15 of the Fairfax Municipal Code; CEQA exempt pursuant to CEQA Guidelines sections 15378(b)(5), 15061(b)(3), and/or 15307 and 15308 – Planning Director, Town Attorney (60 min.)
- Discuss/consider adoption of a Resolution Modifying the Composition of and Extending the Term for the Members of the Racial Equity and Social Justice Committee (“RESJ”) –Town Clerk, Town Attorney (25 min.)
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees, and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense.)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT (5 minutes)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS (5 minutes)
ADJOURNMENT – 9:30
IN MEMORY OF
And “Rosie the Riveter” Phyllis Gould
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk prior to the meeting: (415) 453-1584 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection www.townoffairfax.org.
Meetings are be broadcast, recorded, and uploaded to the Town’s website.