REGULAR FAIRFAX TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, April 7, 2021, at 7:00 pm
Preceded by a Special Meeting at 6:40 pm to Conduct Interview
Preceded by a Special Meeting in Closed Session at 5:45 pm
VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
Due to Coronavirus and consistent with State of California Executive Order N-29-20 and the Marin County Public Health Officer’s Orders, Town Council meetings will be held via tele- and videoconference only. There will be no in-person physical meeting location.
The public can participate in the Regular 7pm and Special 6:40pm meeting as follows:
- Watch on https://www.townoffairfax.org/watch-live-2/ or https://www.cmcm.tv/27
- Alternate way to watch http://wp.marintv.org/27
- Watch on TV Comcast Channel 27 or AT&T Channel 99
- Watch/speak on Zoom: Webinar ID 823 0543 2363 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82305432363
- To speak during the Public Comment time, select the Raise Hand icon and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Listen/speak by phone: +1(669) 900-9128 and use Webinar ID above. If you receive a busy signal, call +1 346 248-7799. (Press *67 before dialing to hide your phone number.) To speak during the public comment time press *9 and you will be added to the queue and unmuted when it is your turn.
- Prior to the meeting, members of the public may email written comments to the Town Council to read and consider. These comments become part of the meeting record.
5:45 pm Closed Session Special Meeting
5:45 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL – PUBLIC COMMENT (on closed session item only)
For public comment on the closed session ONLY, join Zoom https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87300033437 or call 1(669)900-9128 and enter webinar ID 873 0003 3437 promptly at 5:45 pm, before the Council adjourns to the closed session. NOTE: This Zoom link & ID is only for the closed session public comment.
ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION ON THE FOLLOWING MATTER:
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(2) & (e)(1)
SPECIAL MEETING (open to the public)
Zoom Webinar ID 823 0543 2363 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82305432363
6:40 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
- Interview and discuss/consider appointment of applicant to the Fairfax Open Space Committee – Town Clerk
Zoom Webinar ID 823 0543 2363 or join https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82305432363
7:00 PM – CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND AFFIDAVIT OF POSTING
ANNOUNCEMENT OF CLOSED SESSION ACTION
The Fairfax Town Council acknowledges that we are located on the un-ceded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok people of present-day Marin County. We honor with gratitude the land itself, and all of its ancestors: past, present, and emerging.
The Mayor shall maintain order at the meetings. The Council and the audience are expected to refrain from using profane language and/or ridiculing the character or motives of council members, staff, or members of the public and to maintain the standards of tolerance and civility. Please turn off all cellular phones or place in silent mode.
The Town Council will review the agenda at 10:00 P.M. to ascertain which items, if any, will be continued to another meeting. Any matter not started by 11:30 P.M. will be continued to an adjourned or regular council meeting unless the Council votes to suspend this rule.
Drug Take Back Day, Saturday, April 24, in front of the Police Station
Vacancies on Boards and Commissions: Applications available on the Town website, or by contacting Town Clerk Michele Gardner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Climate Action Committee up to 4 vacancies
- Open Space Committee: 1 vacancy
- Volunteer Board: 1 vacancy
- RESJ: 3 vacancies and 1 youth vacancy
Fairfax Food Pantry: Saturdays 8:30-10:30am, Fairfax Community Church, 2398 SFD Blvd.
To receive Town agendas, newsletters, and updates by email, visit www.townoffairfax.org to subscribe.
OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION:
This is the time to address the Council on matters not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to 3 minutes, groups to 5 minutes, subject to the Mayor’s discretion. The Council is not permitted to take action and state law strictly limits the right of the Council to discuss any unagendized item unless it can be demonstrated to be of an emergency nature or the need to take immediate action arose after the posting of the agenda. (Gov. Code §54954.2)
- Receive presentation from the MMWD regarding drought conditions- Marin Municipal Water District
- Receive presentation on Age Friendly 5-Year Progress Report – Age Friendly Fairfax
- Receive presentation on new state housing laws, an overview of the Housing Element, and key Housing Element (HE) requirements including Regional Housing Needs Allocations (RHNA) – Town Manager, Planning Director
The Council may approve the entire consent calendar with one action (vote). In the alternative, items on the Consent Calendar may be removed by any Town Council or staff member for separate discussion and vote. The opportunity for public comment on consent calendar items will occur prior to the Town Council's vote on the Consent Calendar.
- Receive Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports January 2021 – Finance Director
- Receive Financial Statement and Disbursement Reports February 2021 – Finance Director
- Receive written report on Councilmembers’ assignments, committees, and activities in March – Town Clerk
- Approve minutes for the Town Council meetings of February 3 and 17, 2021 – Town Clerk
- Receive Marin Sanitary Service 2020 Annual Report – Town Manager
- Adopt Fair Housing Proclamation – Mayor Ackerman
- Receive Age Friendly 5-Year Progress Report – Town Manager
- Authorize the Town Manager to contract with EMC Planning Group for services to prepare the state mandated update to the Fairfax General Plan Housing Element, related updates to the Safety Element and Land Use Element, and the required environmental review of the various elements – Town Manager, Planning Director
Supplement - Clarifications to EMC Proposal
- Authorize the Town Manager to contract with Oberkamper & Associates Civil Engineer, Inc. in an amount not-to-exceed $50,000 to design the Sir Francis Drake/Azalea Ave crosswalk intersection project – Town Manager
- Receive update on Police Chief interview process – Town Manager
- Adopt a Resolution Endorsing the Overarching Goals and Concepts of the Climate Safe California Platform and Calling for Action by the State of California – Town Manager
- Adopt Town Council Goals for 2021 – Town Manager
- Receive update on the Town’s Residential Rental Assistance Program to assist extremely low-income renters whose household incomes were adversely affected by COVID-19 – Town Manager
- Authorize the Mayor to send a letter in opposition to SB 556 (Dodd) “Street Light Poles, Traffic Signal Poles, Utility Poles, and Support Structures: Attachments – Town Manager
- Approve proposal developed by the Town Council’s Ad-Hoc Subcommittee for forming a Community Emergency Preparedness Committee – Town Manager
- Appoint the youth RESJ member as a regular Racial Equity and Social Justice (RESJ) committee member – Town Manager
- Receive report from the Council representatives to the Marin County Sir Francis Drake Ad-Hoc Working Group regarding the concept of renaming Sir Francis Drake Blvd. and provide direction as appropriate –Mayor Ackerman, Councilmember Goddard
- Discuss/consider the Residents’ Petition submitted per Town Code requesting the use of the ballfield as a dog park and refer the matter to Parks and Recreation Commission for recommendation – Town Manager
- Authorize the Town Manager to increase the agreement with OLAS Performance by $22,707 to provide additional facilitation services for the Racial Equity and Social Justice Committee and Police Practices and Public Safety Alternatives Subcommittee – Town Manager
- Consider request from the CAC to adopt an all-electric requirement for all new construction and direct staff as appropriate– Town Manager
- This item is continued to the May 5, 2021 Town Council Meeting.
80 Crest Road: Appeal of a Planning Commission denial of a Height Variance for an unpermitted Ground Floor Level that would result in the height of the residential structure being approximately 50 feet; Assessor’s Parcel No. 002-152-32; Residential Single-family RS-6 Zone; Verle and Marene Sorgen, appellants/owners; CEQA categorically exempt, § 15301(e)(2)(1). – Principal Planner, Town Manager
COUNCIL REPORTS AND COMMENTS (Brief announcements and reports on Councilmember assignments, committees, and activities, including reports from meetings attended at Town expense.)
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
In memory of Jimmy "Fishbob" Geraghty
Jacqueline Lucille Ghiringhelli
If any of the matters described above is challenged in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at any public hearing described on this agenda, or in written correspondence delivered at, or prior to, this Council meeting.
If you need an accommodation to attend or participate in this meeting due to disability, please contact the Town Clerk prior to the meeting: (415) 453-1584 or email@example.com.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection www.townoffairfax.org.